"Dear Rebecca, It is a pleasure to inform you of your acceptance to the University of Utah."
Woohoo!!! I got in!! So now I just have to worry about getting financial aid as soon as possible, moving into a much cheaper apartment by the end of June (roommates, boohoo!), and finding a part-time job by the end of August. School starts on the 25th of August, and I'm already looking forward to it!
They have undergraduate scholarships for the College of Mines and Earth Sciences, and if I am going to try for one I need to send in an application as soon as possible, they're already looking at them, the lady told me today. But I don't know if I should try for that one, what if I end up going for graduate school instead? I need to talk to an adviser first, right away! Agh, so many things to do all at once! I'm thinking I should just try for the federal stafford loan, but I'm not sure when the deadline is. Decisions, decisions...
I'm starting to save money in earnest now, but too bad I have to get new car tags and an inspection this month. But I rediscovered Ramen- .14 cents each! And lots of sandwiches, egg-salad and tuna! And also my current employer has a 401K plan, I've been putting in $50 a paycheck (before taxes) for over a year now, and I think I could get the money when I leave with a 30% penalty. And I'll have an extra pay-check in June, and there's that suspicious money the government is sending in May. So hopefully I'll be good for at least a couple months when I start college. I could get a part-time second job now and save even more, but I'm afraid that might kill me. We'll just have to see. One thing I know is I'll be up to my eyeballs in debt when I leave school again, but at least I'll (hopefully) be making more than I ever have before, and doing something I think I'll actually enjoy! :-)
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's great, Becky! I would give you some advice about the money angle but I don't know any! This is great that you are so excited about doing this! I can't wait to see how you like it and I'm glad you are thinking about graduate school. You might have a better chance with the better schools with a graduate degree.
I can't wait to hear what your advisor tells you. The College of Mines and Earth Sciences? That sounds like you have class underground in a cave. That's pretty cool that you'll be a Ute and you're already a Cougar. Ramen is very awesome. Jer signed up for this Alaska Airline miles thing to get to Alaska for free for his finals later this month but it didn't work out in time. So we'll have these Alaska Airline miles for free next month and I was seriously considering using them to come to SLC but Alaska Air doesn't fly there! What the heck? I thought for sure they'd be there. Bummer. I thought you were determined not to have roommates but it look like you'll have to, huh? If you go to graduate school at UofU, do they have graduate dorms and such? I have no idea how college works really. Hey, I don't know if you read my post but I tagged you to come up with five things you'd want on a wish list for fun. You don't have to do it, but it would be fun to see the kind of things you'd pick. And when you are done you can tag Jessie! Have a great day and good luck with all the Ute stuff!
Post a Comment